Mac, Me, and the other man in my life.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Wiki this, Wiki that!

Well no doubt the hardest thing about my wiki was deciding what to do it on. I'm familiar with Wikipedia and the sorts of information found there and after viewing the PBworks tutorial on the camping trip I felt that I had a good idea what type of information should be used on a wiki. As I explored each of my ideas I felt the direction I was needing to go was more of a website rather than a wiki. I finally chose to do a wiki on recommended reading for fourth grade. I added a few novels and provided links to other books written by their authors. I thought in a classroom I could have my students add additional books that they would like to recommend to the rest of their grade level. I created a separate page labeled "Book Review" for students to share and summarize the book. This is where I came across issues. I had a generic page, Book Review, linked to each story title. However when I added my own review under Where the Red Fern Grows it feeds to all the books because it was a linked page. I could go back and create separate pages for every single book title (all four of them), but had I added 20 books on my wiki it would seem very time consuming, so I left as is. If any of you can offer me a solution to my issue I welcome your help.

I'm still pondering whether or not what I have done tonight is a true "wiki". I have created pages in which could be edited to provide additional information to others, but I can't help feeling like my assignment was better suited for a website.

The four titles I listed on my wiki are some of my favorite titles that I have read while working in fourth grade. Where the Red Fern Grows was actually one of my favorite childhood stories. Please share any titles via my wiki that you would recommend to a fourth grade class. 

As for PBworks wiki I didn’t like all the information off to the right side of the page. This area seems very “busy” to me and takes my attention away from the main idea of the wiki. One item in particular was the recent activity tracking. It appears that we can’t hide this information from other users. Just sharing my thoughts & concerns with all my classmates.

Well it’s been a long day, peace out girl scouts (as my daughter would say).


“One day soon the Gillette company will announce the development of a razor that, thanks to a computer microchip, can actually travel ahead in time and shave beard hairs that don't even exist yet” ~ Dave Barry


No comments:

Post a Comment