Mac, Me, and the other man in my life.

Friday, July 8, 2011

Web searching just got easier and "Delicious".

My Manual "Bookmarking" Mess!
OMG! There I said. If you only had any idea of how often I've had problems with bookmarking my favorite web pages. Working as a long-term substitute I'm often "traveling" from classroom to classroom, often leaving my bookmarks behind on the computer last used. As all educators know, teachers do a lot of work from home too, so bookmarking on my home computer does me no good when I'm at school. I have actually resorted to writing URLs in a planner, when my planner wasn't handy I would write them in my journal, and when my journal wasn't handy I would write them in my password book (I know, shake your head). Do you see where I'm going with this? The social bookmarking site, Delicious, offers me access to my sites no matter where I'm at!

Sharing my bookmarks with a social network opens the door to many more sites similar to those I have chose. I can see where this can be addicting because I could just go on and on exploring various related sites!

Delicious could have some down-sides to it as well. Depending on how someone tags a site might have me searching sites that aren't particularly what I needed. However, I think everyone would agree that we often find this to be true anytime we search the web. We  often come across websites that were designed with exactly everything we had in mind while we will also come across those that we ponder how they made it within our search results.

Delicious offers a tab for the "Fresh" bookmarks. These are the bookmarks as they would say are flying like hotcakes on their site. There is also the "Hotlist" tab which provides users the most popular bookmarks on their site.

Maybe just maybe I will overcome my desire for reality TV and become a social networking and bookmarking junkie instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment